TGIS: Thank G-d It’s Shabbat
Shalom Lovely Community
What a beautiful Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur! My sincere thanks to all who made it special – there are a lot, so I will thank you all in no particular order at the end of my message.
I’ll begin with quick mention of Doron Maroun, who has been a mainstay of our COVID team since we went back to Shul over a year ago, and is stepping down from this volunteer role. We extend our heartfelt appreciation to him, and he truly is irreplaceable. Subsequently, we are not attempting to replace him, but the new team, together with the easing of COVID restrictions announced, will move forward with some changes. Please note them and please feel free to approach Greg Gelb (our COVID officer) or me with any questions or concerns that you have. I assure you that we are not taking COVID any less seriously, but simply recalibrating our approach in a dynamic situation.
- We will no longer be creating a seating plan for each week. Rather, some seats will be “available”, and others will be “unavailable” to ensure appropriate distancing.
- Do: Arrive early if you would like a particular seat. You will not have a particular seat (even your favourite one) reserved for you.
- Do not: Tamper with the seating arrangements. If the seat in which you want to sit is marked unavailable, please find a different seat that is available.
- We will begin offering vaccinated-only brochas. Our goal is to have this available for Sukkot – you will need to book in advance, and you will need to confirm your vaccination status with us. If we are fully booked for one day, Sukkot has enough days that I’m confident we’ll able to get you in on another. We will begin this as a test and will rely on the compliance and understanding of all who attend. The Chief Rabbi’s medical experts have given us the green light on the following conditions:
- Only those who are fully vaccinated will be able to book. “Fully vaccinated” means: 14 days after your second Pfizer shot, or 28 days from your Jonson and Jonson shot.
- It will be a seated and plated brocha – there will be social distancing and not a lot of mingling.
- Children under 10 can attend even if not vaccinated, but not from age 10 and older.
- You will need to confirm your vaccination status with us by filling out this form here, and then sending Wendy a photo of your vaccination card.
Now for the Yamim Noraim thanks!
- Our Davening Team: Chazzan Gidon Erster, ably assisted by Rabbi Gavriel (Rav Gav) Ziegler and Ivan Klitzner for leading us beautifully and capably – in a time when leading services is different to how it used to be!
- Our Executive Team: Shaun Borstrock (Chair) Steven Kahn (Vice Chair) and Amnon Melzer (Treasurer) for making the decisions that needed to be made for the unusual circumstances of Yamim Noraim and leading our community.
- Our Shul Office Team: Wendy Berger and Sindiswe Qhawe for the hours of work in taking Shul bookings, managing logistics, and keeping our beautiful Shul spotless.
- Our Tent Team: Rob Kroomer and Philip Scher for making our garden a safe and pleasant place to daven.
- Our COVID Team: Greg Gelb and Doron Maroun for keeping us safe in such a dedicated and respectful way.
- Our Children’s Team: Junie Punie, Dalya Blecher (head of Dream Team), Sibongile Madikizela (supervised play before children’s services), Mrs Thurgood (snack pack maker), Yael Robins Kallmann, Eitan Robins Kallmann, Dani Shochot, Jack Nathan and Maya Bachmann (Dream Team members), Eytan Labe, Leah Hepple, Jethro Klitzner and Josh Blecher (Bnei Akiva madrichim).
- Our Jonah and the Whale Team: Kim Katz, Sasha Katz, Nicole Labe, and the Dream Team.
- Our Rosh Hashana Pack Team: Owen Futeran, Peta Feldman, Val Hurwitz, Rene Borstrock, Mr Richard Thurgood, Mrs Charlotte Thurgood, Andy Blecher, Steven Kahn, Wendy Berger, Lance and Kim Katz (sponsors) and the volunteer delivery team.
- Our Rosh Hashana Magazine Team: Jill Schulman (Editor), Michi Bachmann, Wendy Berger, Rene Borstrock, Shaun Borstrock, Ivan Klitzner, Nicole Labe, Ed Levin, Jill Schulman (Advertising sales), and all of those who submitted articles and photos.
- Our Yamim Noraim Online Hour Team: Gidon Erster, Shaun Borstrock and Eliel Siegel.
- Our Security Team: Daniel Goldstuck (Eyes and Ears Coordinator) and all of those who stood guard over us during the long shifts of Yom Tov.
If I have left you out – please let me know so that we can thank you! We really are grateful.
I cannot sufficiently emphasise how much concerted effort it takes from so many people to make this all happen. I am so proud to be part of a community in which so many take such an active role in making it special for us all. If you’d like to do more – please let us know!
Aviva, Shalva, Tzuriya, Azriel, Neriya and I wish you a Shabbat Shalom.
Rebuild Committee Update
Torah Reading Pages | Chol Hamoed Sukkot
|Chol Hamoed Sukkot||Artscroll||Koren||Living Torah||Hirsch|
Shabbat Times | Chol Hamoed Sukkot
Please make sure to book well in advance here: bit.ly/attendBMM
|Earliest Candle Lighting||17:29|
|Latest Candle Lighting||18:26|
|Zoom Mincha and Kabbalat Shabbat | https://zoom.us/j/2012833604||18:15|
|Latest time for morning Shema||09:34|
|Shabbat afternoon Mincha||18:15|
Weekday Davening Schedule
|Shacharit | Monday and Thursday||06:50|
|Shacharit | Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday||07:00|
|Shacharit | Sunday and Public Holidays||08:00|
|Shacharit|Rosh Chodesh and Fast Days||06:40|
|Mincha|Sunday – Thursday||18:15||https://zoom.us/j/2012833604|
Announcements | Chol Hamoed Sukkot
The Rabbi, Rebbetzin, and Committee wish you Shabbat Shalom.
The Haftorah will be recited by Dr Meyer Rabinowitz.
Interested in returning to the brocha? Please submit your details to our Morasha Vaccination Registry here: https://bit.ly/MorashaVaccine
We are happy to announce that lockers are available for rental on an annual basis on a first come first served arrangement. Contact Wendy for more details.
Morasha Library 2021 – Books Available for Sponsorship here
Morasha WhatsApp Groups:
Community Announcements: http://bit.ly/MorashaWhatsapp
Morasha Minyan Roster (Weekday Shul Attendance): https://bit.ly/BMMminyan
Shiurim Around Cape Town: https://chat.whatsapp.com/KBVoD2nJ8TcBMBfa4RTrY3
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS WELCOME!
Contact : email@example.com
The Yahrzeit begins the evening before the date
|Sunday – Thursday||After Shacharit (approx. 7:50am)||5 Minutes Halacha||Rabbi Sam Thurgood||Shul (also on Zoom and Facebook)|
|Sunday – Thursday||Between Mincha & Maariv||5 Minute Halacha||Rabbi Sam Thurgood||Shul (also on Zoom and Facebook)|
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday||8:10-8:30am||Chumash with Commentaries||Rabbi Sam Thurgood||https://zoom.us/j/2012833604|
|Wednesday||7:30-8:30pm||Gemara Sukkah||Rabbi Gavriel Ziegler||Zoom (contact Rav Gav)|
|Saturday||Between Mincha & Maariv||Shabbat Shiur||Rabbi Sam Thurgood||Shul|
T: 021 434 8680
Click the button above
First National Bank
Sea Point Branch
5024 0085 164